Kids’ vitamin supplements should contain healthy nutrients that can help aid a child during their growing years. Vitamins are the number one recommended supplements by almost all paediatricians which are beneficial to children especially if they have difficulty in eating balanced meals, particularly those who hate eating their fruit and veg. But is it possible for vitamin supplements for kids to be unhealthy?
According to recent studies, hazardous chemicals have been found in kids vitamins. These unhealthy ingredients added by pharmaceutical companies should be avoided by adults never mind children. Some of these chemicals are poisonous to anyone who consume them and can cause serious cancers.
To better understand what vitamin supplements to buy your children, make sure you check which ingredients are on the packet against our list of nasties below.
This artificial sweetener has been subject to controversy. It is said to have been the cause of numerous health conditions like sclerosis, lupus, methanol toxicity, blindness, spasms, shooting pains, seizures, anxiety, depression and birth defects. This ingredient found in many kids’ vitamins contains a combination of synthetic amino acids, aspartic acid and I-phenylalanine which eventually converts into toxic methanol once consumed by the body.
**2. Cupric Oxide**
It is known to be an irritant which can cause damage to the endocrine and central nervous system. Inhaling Cupric Oxide can damage the lungs and septum. Even the slightest contact on the skin or the eyes can cause irritation. Cupric Oxide can cause a toxic build-up of copper in the body once it’s consumed. This chemical is even used for production of rayon fabric and dry cell batteries.
**3. Coal Tar Artificial Colouring Agents**
These are synthetic dyes used to add colour to food or any substances like tablets and vitamins. A possible side-effect of consuming Coal Tar is attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder or ADHD. There is also some indication that when this particular substance is used with Aspartame it can be a neurotoxin.
**4. Zinc Oxide**
This is a non-organic compound used as an additive in some vitamin tablets. It’s also used in the production of rubbers, plastics, ceramics, glass, cement, lubricants, paints, ointments, adhesives, sealants, batteries, fire retardants, and first-aid tapes. The EU’s Dangerous Substance Directive classifies it as “Dangerous for the environment”, so probably best not swallowed then.
This is a synthetic sugar which can cause nausea, mouth dryness, gastrointestinal illness, abdominal pain and IBS once ingested into the body. The substance also has a laxative effect.
**6. Ferrous Fumarate**
This chemical is not found in naturally in foodstuffs but is used as an iron supplement. Possible symptoms of overdose for children are constipation, diarrhoea and stomach cramps. Allergic reaction may also occur for adults as this is an industrial mineral.
**7. Hydrogenated Soybean Oil**
This is a semi-synthetic fatty acid which should never be consumed by any individuals much more children who are still in their growing years. Hydrogenated oils can cause coronary artery disease and at their worst, cancer.